Mill Pond, Wandle Park, Colliers Wood
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1912|
|Notes / History||Wandle Park House and grounds was owned from 1791 until his death in 1821 by James Perry who was proprietor of the Morning Chronicle, founded in 1770.
Corn milling was an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times. Perry also owned the nearby "very spacious" Merton Corn Mill and to ensure a constant supply of water, he dug out an adjoining field to form the Mill Pond and a cut leading directly to the mill.
The land was eventually purchased by Wimbledon Corporation for a public park and vested in the National Trust. The park opened in 1907.
In 1910 the Mill Pond Garden was added, purchased by public subscription. Re-design of the park was undertaken through Merton Groundwork Trust and completed in 2003.