Wandle Park Waterfall
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1910|
|Copyright 1||Johns, copied, G.F.Cook|
|Notes / History||The park lies alongside the river Wandle, an area rich in early industrial history, and is of informal design consisting of grass, a linear path, with trees generally beside the river and newer wetland features.
It was once the site of Wandlebank House owned from 1791-1821 by James Perry who owned the Merton Corn Mill and was also editor of the Morning Chronicle, founded in 1770. Corn milling had been an important industry on the Wandle from medieval times.
Wandlebank House and grounds were purchased by Wimbledon Corporation for a public park and vested in the National Trust.