Middleton and Edward Rayne Jnr playing chess
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Notes / History||Pictured are the sons of farmer and country gentleman, Edward Rayne and his wife, Mary.
The family owned a considerable amount of property in the West Barnes and Cannon Hill area, including Broadwater Farm and parts of former Merton Priory estate land off West Barnes Lane.
Edward Rayne Snr gave part of his land to the South Western Railway in 1837 and personally helped to transport gravel and rails for the track between Nine Elms and Woking.