Original Methodist Church, Lower Green, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||The first Mitcham Methodist chapel was built near
Cricket Green in 1789 and survives as a private residence.
By 1876 the growing population and increasing interest in Methodism prompted construction of this larger church.
The building was designed by local architect, Robert Masters Chart and completed in 1877.
It remained in use for over seventy years and was finally replaced by the current modern structure during the late 1950s.