St. Winifride's Roman Catholic Church, Wimbledon: Altar
Buy a print
|Notes / History||Set in the heart of the community, this striking church was designed by Frederick Walters and dates from 1905. It was built to meet the needs of the Catholics living in South Wimbledon. The architect Frederick Walters had also designed the school and the Roman Catholic seminary at Wonersh near Guildford. The Jesuit Fathers staffed the parish until 1961, when control was passed to the Archdiocese of Southwark.
The Church has been added to during the years, the stained glass was added in the 1980s, the altar was moved forward and lighting, central heating and some internal reordering has been done. The Church is a grade II listed building.