Interior of St. Mary's Church, looking east, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1897|
|Notes / History||This shows the church prior to the Diamond Jubilee refurbishment. The carved wooden choir stalls are just visible in the background, with the Victorian pulpit and pipe organ in the centre.
The dark diamond shapes near the roof are actually wooden funerary hatchments, painted with the heraldic arms of various notable parishioners. Amongst those commemorated in this way are Admiral Nelson and
Sir William Hamilton.