St Mary's looking west, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||July 1897|
|Notes / History||This picture shows the 18th century gallery, once located to the rear of the nave, a gift of former parishioner William Baynes, customs official.
By the end of Queen Victoria’s reign the gallery was considered old-fashioned. It was removed as part of a major refurbishment designed to mark her Diamond Jubilee.
Much of the work was financed by local philanthropist and horticulturalist, John Innes, including the installation of extra seating and an additional church bell.