St. Mary's Parish Church and Vicarage, Merton
Buy a print
|Notes / History||The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin is just visible through the trees, to the right of the picture.
During Nelson’s day there was no resident parsonage at Merton. Reverend Thomas Lancaster, the perpetual curate, lived at Eagle House, Wimbledon where he also ran a private academy for young gentleman.
The school was sold in 1811 to allow the Reverend to devote more time to his ministry.