Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Morden Road, Mitcham.
Buy a copy
|Copyright 1||Presented by Mr Harold Bidder|
|Notes / History||Bronze ornaments and beads from the Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Morden Road, Mitcham.
Initial excavation of the site, which is the largest Anglo-Saxon burial ground to be found in the south east, took place between 1888 and the 1920’s. Of the 230 burials unearthed, more than half contained grave goods and these date from 450 to 600.
A later dig carried out by the Museum of London Archaeological Service during the 1980s unearthed a large assortment of human remains, weaponry, jewellery and domestic goods, examples of which are now displayed at the museum.