Skeleton from cemetery near Morden Road, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||Presented by Mr Harold Bidder|
|Notes / History||This skeleton was unearthed from the Anglo-Saxon burial site close to Morden Road.
Initial excavation of the site, which is the largest Anglo-Saxon burial ground to be found in the south east, took place between 1888 and the 1920’s. 230 burials were unearthed, although, that number again may have also have been buried in the cemetery. The grave goods discovered date from 450 to 600.
A later dig carried out by the Museum of London Archaeological Service during the 1980s unearthed a large assortment of human remains, weaponry, jewellery and domestic goods, examples of which are now displayed at the museum.