Wimbledon Fire Station, Queen's Road: Opening day

Wimbledon Fire Station, Queen's Road: Opening day

Buy a print

Area Wimbledon
Picture Reference Wim_​Fire_​Brigade_​1-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Originally the Fire Station for Wimbledon was in the Village, near the Dog and Fox public house, but in 1904 it was moved to a building in Queens Road, previously the Council’s upper store yard. The council meetings for 1903 and 1904 show agreed expenditure of £135 16s for fireproof flooring and allowance to be made to purchase 300 feet of canvas hose. A portable telephone for the use of the Fire Brigade was also to be obtained from the GPO.

In 1980 the station was moved towards Raynes Park on the Knigston Road and the 1904 building was converted and became part of the Centre Court Shopping Centre.

Related items

Comments

* Required field