Wimbledon Fire Station, Queen's Road
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||Originally the Fire Station for Wimbledon was in the Village, near the Dog and Fox public house, but in 1904 it was moved to a building in Queens Road.
Until 1913 the pumps were horse drawn, the grey horses were trained by Captain Butler to lip their heads into their harnesses when they heard the fire bell ring. Their mascot was a greyhound who ran before the pumps. The first Mayor of Wimbledon Alderman Hamshaw decided to improve the efficiency of the Brigade and to this end insisted the majority of firemen should be full time and paid.
In 1980 the station was moved towards Raynes Park on the Knigston Road and the 1904 building was converted and became part of the Centre Court Shopping Centre.