U. D.C Offices, Kingston Road, Merton Park
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||July 1935|
|Notes / History||The council offices were at numbers 116-118. Merton parish council erected these offices in the early 1900s. They were enlarged in 1911 and again in 1930. Between 1894 and 1907 Merton was administrated by Croydon Urban District Council and in 1907 Merton UDC was formed.The area to the rear of the building was used for Merton Fire Station. The Social Services section of Merton council later occupied the offices and welfare ambulances were housed in the garage to the rear.
The council vacated the building in 1942 and the central library moved in from its home at the Masonic Hall in Kingston Road. The library remained there until it moved to Morden Road in 1960. Note the white urban telephone box next to the building.