Atkinson Morley Hospital , Copse Hill
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||Iron balconies were added as part of the refurbishment and extension of the original hospital in 1908. The row of beds allowed the patients a change of scenery and access to plenty of fresh air, which was considered an important part of a patient’s recovery.
Initially illuminated by costly 220 volt lamps, the balconies were later given cheaper 50 volt metal filament lights. The subsequent saving on fuel was then used to replace 50 bedsteads.