Fire at Eagle House
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken||21st September 1954|
|Copyright 1||Phox Studios|
|Notes / History||Firemen inspecting damage to the roof of Eagle House Day Nursery in London Road, Mitcham.
The fire was discovered by workmen, and staff evacuated the twenty four young children. No one was hurt, although the roof suffered damage.
Eagle House was built in 1705 for one of Catherine of Braganza's physicians. Before it was a nursery, it was used as for a private boarding school and subsequently served as the infirmary for the Holborn Union Industrial School. The building is currently a school for autustic children.