Atkinson Morley Hospital , Copse Hill
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||Built using money bequeathed by Mr Atkinson Morley in the late 1860s.
From the time it opened the change in diet and environment had a positive effect on the patients of St Georges’ Hospital and by the end of 1869 1 in 6 patients went for convalescence. The average length of stay was 3 weeks.
Each ward had large windows and tiled floors. There was a double open fireplace to heat the water and run the primitive central heating system.