Morden Hall Park and the River Wandle, Morden
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1952|
|Copyright 1||B. Fletcher|
|Notes / History||View of the Wandle passing through
Morden Hall Park. The stable block is just visible in the distance.
The house dates from c.1791 and was
home to the Garth family, lords of the manor of Morden from 1554 to 1872.
During the latter half of the nineteeth century the estate passed into the ownership of the Hatfeild family. They had made their fortune through the manufacture of snuff, including
a long term lease on the adjacent Morden Snuff Mill.
The Morden Hall Estate was bequeathed to the National Trust by the last private owner, Gilliat Edward Hatfeild in 1941.