Caesar's Well, Wimbledon Common
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||This natural spring, to the west of the Common, has supplied local residents with water for centuries.
The water rises from a depth of around 18 feet (roughly 5 metres) and has never been known to dry out, even during periods of drought.
During the Victorian period, horse-drawn wagons carried barrels of water from the spring to houses in the neighbouring village.
In 1872 the well was enclosed in a circle of granite, on the instructions of local MP, Sir Henry Peek, owner of Wimbledon House, Parkside.