River Wandle and Deeds Mill, Willow Lane
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||London Borough of Merton|
|Photographer / Origin of Photo||Tom Francis|
|Notes / History||The mill was also known as Mitcham Mill, Searle’s Mill and Eagle Leather Works during its history. A mill was first recorded on this site in 1685. Access to the mill was by a ford at the end of Willow Lane. The mill stood on an island created by a diversion of the River Wandle. The island was actually in Carshalton. The Mitcham parish boundary was determined by the river.
The mill was taken over in 1884 by J.S. Deed and Sons and used for leather production. They specialised in the production of fine white buckskins, other soft leathers and sheepskins. The mill was demolished in 1965. However the company remained in the Willow Lane area until 1997.