Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1918|
|Copyright 1||F J Townend|
|Notes / History||The area known as Watermeads was one of the earliest acquisitions by the National Trust. It had been bought by the Trust just 5 years before this photo was taken.
Situated on the Morden side of the Wandle immediately upstream of Mitcham Bridge, it was the site of a snuff mill and a paper mill built by Richard Glover in about 1800.
The mills had fallen into disuse by the time the land was purchased by the Trust, which left it to revert to its natural wetland state.