Wandle at Ravensbury Manor
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||20th June 1929|
|Copyright 1||H M Paul|
|Notes / History||This section of the River is probably in Ravensbury Park which lies between Morden Road and Bishopsford Road.
The original Ravensbury estate was extensive, being in excess of 326 acres, and the old Ravensbury Manor was situated just upstream from Ravensbury Print Works. It was occupied until the mid-nineteenth century when part of the estate was bought by George P. Bidder in 1855. It was unoccupied from the 1860s and soon became derelict.
A second manor house was built on the south bank of the river in 1912 but that was demolished to make way for inter-war housing developments.