Wandle (back of Bournus House)
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1946|
|Copyright 1||E. Passmore Olney|
|Notes / History||This is possibly a photograph of what is known as Fisheries Cottage upstream of Mitcham Bridge as seen from the west looking east. The area from which the photo is taken is known as the Watermeads where a number of cuts are all that remain around the spot where Glovers Snuff Mill once stood.
The cottage, formerly known as Wandle Cottage, was the home of a Mr Harry Bourne from 1895 to 1907. Although there is no record of the cottage being named after him it is possible that locals in the area knew it as ‘Bourne’s House’.