Wandle at Waddon
Buy a print
|Copyright 1||E. Passmore Olney|
|Notes / History||The Croydon branch of the River Wandle originally arose from a number of springs in the centre of the town. However the town was subject to regular flooding and in 1850 a major drainage programme was undertaken.
The programme involved the filling in of watercourses. As a result of this the Croydon branch of the river now appears to begin in the large Mill Pond at Waddon seen in this photograph. However, it actually originates at
East Croydon station with a number of sources flowing underground into the Mill Pond.