Wandle near Beddington Corner
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||July 1914|
|Copyright 1||E N Pearce|
|Notes / History||Beddington Corner is a section of the River Wandle once known for its leather industry. Situated between Bennetts Hole and Culvers Island in Carshalton, the area was originally the site of a variety of industries such as copper, flour and calico mills.
The tanneries and leather mills that sprang up on the left bank of the river in the mid to late nineteenth century were known as the Mitcham Leather Mills even though they were on the Carshalton side of the border between the two parishes.