Weir at Ravensbury
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||May 1987|
|Copyright 1||A Hutchings|
|Notes / History||This is the weir that runs from the mill pond next to the old Ravensbury snuff mill as the Wandle exits Ravensbury Park at Morden Road. This mill, which is still standing today, was one of a number of snuff mills on both sides of the river which were taken over by John Rutter in 1805. It was well known for producing the popular tobacco ‘Mitcham Shag’.
The Rutter family left Mitcham in 1925. This mill is the only one of the snuff mills that remains. It is currently unoccupied.