Wandle from Bishopsford Road Bridge
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||This photograph is in fact taken from Mitcham Bridge which is on the Bishopsford Road. It shows the view upstream looking towards Fisheries Cottage which was built in the late 1840s. Although originally occupied by employees in the nearby mills, it became the home of Henry Bourne in 1895. Henry Bourne was the bailiff employed by the Wandle Fisheries Association which had been set up to conserve fish stocks in the river.
The cottage, which has now been extensively renovated, was originally called Wandle Cottage. It later became Fisheries Cottage. Its actual address is 475 London Road.