River Wandle. Crown and Grove Mills Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1922|
|Notes / History||Mills have existed in this part of the River Wandle since the 1700s. Crown Mill, along with Grove Mill, was situated on the left side of the river looking south as seen in this picture. Two other mills for a while existed on the other bank. This is now part of the National Trust Watermeads nature site.
The timber clad buildings in the picture were mill workers cottages. They are better known now as the Fisheries Cottages. The name Fisheries Cottage is thought to have been coined by an estate agent when the property was put up for sale in the 1990s. One of the three houses (No:475) was at one time occupied by Henry Bourne, bailiff of a short-lived private angling association.
For more information on the mills in this area see:
Mitcham Bridge, The Watermeads and the Wandle Mills by
E. N. Montague published by the Merton Historical Society.