London Road, Mitcham: 475-479 Fisheries Cottages
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1929|
|Copyright 1||R. Stevenson.|
|Notes / History||The mill cottages are situated on a site that was once an island, created by the division of water from the River Wandle to serve Grove and Crown mills. With an address of 475-479 London Road two of the cottages have parts dated from around 1755 and the other (475) from 1851 they are Grade II listed. The cottages were occupied by mill owners, managers or mill workers and No 475 was for a while occupied by Henry Bourne, bailiff for trout fishing association. They are now all owner-occupied and more commonly known as the Fisheries Cottages. A name given to them by a local estate agent during the 1990s.
Crown mill to the left can also be seen in the picture.
For more information on the mills in this area see:
Mitcham Bridge, The Watermeads and the Wandle Mills by
E. N. Montague published by the Merton Historical Society.