Wimbledon Common - Impromptu Cricket Practice
Sorry this item cannot be purchased.
|Copyright 1||Francis Frith Ltd. This image cannot be purchased from this site.|
|Notes / History||During the 19th century, the Common was used by a number of prominent cricket teams.
The Roehampton Cricket Club, founded in 1842, still uses the ground near Telegraph Lane, Putney Heath, mustering both a First and Second XI each Saturday during the cricket season.
The Wimbledon Cricket Club was founded in 1854, staging matches on the Common until 1890, when it moved to Wimbledon Park.
The vacated pitch was subsequently used by members of the Wimbledon Village team and remained in use till 1977.