Cricket Green, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1958|
|Notes / History||The Green was often subject to flooding. Maintenance of the pitch was solely down to the Cricket Club, assisted by wealthy patrons such as banker Henry Hoare of The Canons, Mitcham.
Local residents and sport writer, Fred Gale, better known as “the Old Buffer,” paid for drainage of the land but heavy usage of the Green escalated the problem. During the 1880s, former cricketer, W.W. Thomson, arranged for the Green to be pipe drained, using funds raised locally. For well over a century, this system has ensured that the turf is sufficiently dry and firm to support a lengthy fixture list.