Wimbledon Public Baths, Latimer Road

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1902
Area Wimbledon
Picture Reference Wim_​9_​7-2
Original Format Photo
Notes / History Wimbledon Swimming Baths opened in 1901. This striking redbrick building was a much valued public venue, where the pool itself could be boarded, creating a large space for public meetings and events. Over the decades, events hosted included suffragette meetings,boxing matches, dances, early cinema shows, air rifle competitions and meetings of the ‘Lest We Forget‘ (veterans) Assoc.

In recent years the old pools have been transformed into modern fitness space, known as Wimbledon Leisure Centre, offering a dance studio, fitness suite, sauna and solarium. Wimbledon Centre is now run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd.

Related items

Comments

* Required field