London Road: Crown Inn, Morden
Buy a print
|Notes / History||This mock-Tudor complex was built in 1932. There had been a tavern on the site since 1801 and the new buildings also served as a tavern. During the interwar period, however, they were transformed into complex of restaurants, bars, function rooms (Kings Hall) and an off license shop. These were demolished in 1960/1 following the construction of Crown House, which is now Merton Civic Centre. A new bar was opened in 1961 to the side of the tower block.
Notice the “Tardis” (police call box) and air raid sirens, both of which were once a common sight on British streets.