High Street, Wimbledon: Toynbee Memorial Drinking Fountain
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||1st January 0001|
|Notes / History||An ornate structure situated near the junction of Wimbledon Hill Road and High Street, Wimbledon. Errected in 1868 as a memorial to Joseph Toynbee.
In addition to his medical work, Joseph took a keen interest in local affairs. He was one of the driving forces behind the Village Club, built on the Rideway in 1859. Designed to provide educational opportunities for the less fortunate, the building contained a reading room, library and lecture hall.