London Road: Civic Centre and The Crown Pub, Morden

London Road: Civic Centre and The Crown Pub, Morden

Buy a print

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1970
Area Morden
Picture Reference MerMor_​4_​3-9
Original Format Photo
Notes / History This complex of buildings at first build in 1932 in mock Tudor style served as a tavern. During the interwar period was transformed into complex of restaurants, bars and function rooms (Kings Hall) and off license shop, but demolished in 1960/1, following the construction of Crown House (now Merton Civic Centre). A new bar Crown Inn (back view in this picture) managed by of the Courage brewery was constructed and opened in 1961 to the side of the tower block by the property development firm, Bernard Sunley & Sons.

Related items

Comments

* Required field