St. Helier Avenue, Morden
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1949|
|Copyright 1||Pictorial Ltd|
|Notes / History||This shows the junction between St. Helier Avenue (left) and Bishopsford Road (right), with Green Lane (lower left) and Wrythe Lane (right). Reigate Avenue and Rosehill are just visible at the base of the picture.
The central “ocean liner” structure, was designed by Harry Weston in the Art Deco style. This £100,000 complex held 26 ground floor shops and 60 five room flats.
At the heart lay the Gaumont cinema, housing a 2,000 seat auditorium. This was opened in 1937 by film star, John Loder. The event proved so popular that traffic jams brought the area to a standstill.