Muchelney Road, St. Helier Estate, Morden
Buy a print
|Date Photo Taken||9th September 1931|
|Copyright 1||LCC Architects Dept. Ref: A8334|
|Notes / History||The estate was “built to be a community”, with space for churches, shops, schools, community centres, pubs and open spaces.
Most of the new residents were young couples and families from London Boroughs such as Hammersmith and Fulham, Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth, including 1,100 people moved as a result of slum clearance.
Ironically, those already living in the Morden and Carshalton area did not qualify for the new housing and although this caused some ill-feeling, there was sympathy for the needs of people living in crowded inner city areas.