Streatham Road, Roe Bridge, Mitcham
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||1900|
|Notes / History||The first bridge over the River Graveney was erected in 1652 by the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors after Thomas Roe had narrowly missed drowning when thrown by his horse whilst crossing the river. Set in the Northern Parapet of the bridge is a block of Portland stone on which are carved with the Arms of the company with the date 1652. Reconstruction took place in 1911 when the road was widened and again rebuilt in 1992 by the London Borough of Wandsworth.
Roa Bridge, North Mitcham is generally serving as a boundary between Tooting, Stratham and Mitcham and a junction to end of Streatham Road and beginning of Mitcham Lane.