Upper Fair Green, Mitcham: Coronation Decorations
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||1953|
|Copyright 1||Clifford Fox|
|Notes / History||Fair Green appears resplendent, decorated with flags, bunting and paper-chains to celebrate the Queen’s coronation in June 1953.
This picture shows the area prior to modern redevelopment, with the clock tower in its original location. (It was moved during the early 1990s). At this stage traffic could still pass across the green and down the high street between the Kings Arms and the Bucks Head (now the White Lion of Mortimer).
In recent years the mock-Tudor conveniences, shown far right, have been emptied and the little building converted to form a popular local café.