Hengelo Gardens, Mitcham
Buy a copy
|Date Photo Taken||30th August 1952|
|Notes / History||The opening of a new road in Mitcham, named Hengelo Gardens, on the Ravensbury Estate, took place on the 30th August 1952.
To the right of the plaque is the Burgomaster of Hengelo,
Dr R J J Lambooy, and to his left the Mayor of Mitcham Councillor A C Prestage. The road was named after the town of Hengelo, in the Netherlands, which was Mitcham's adopted Dutch town. Annual exchanges by sportsmen and women had been made by the two towns since 1946, to promote friendship through sport between the people of Mitcham and Hengelo in the Netherlands.
In 1955, a square in Hengelo had been renamed Mitchamplein.