London Road, Mitcham: The Old Cage, pound and stocks
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1830|
|Original Format||Print from Watercolour|
|Notes / History||This stylised image by John Francis Dixon shows the original Cricketers Inn, built c 1799. Originally known as The Swan, the building was the first headquarters for Mitcham Cricket Club.
Shown to the right of the inn is the old village pound and village cage. The former was used to house stray livestock and the later was a primitive cell constructed c1765 and used to detain petty criminals prior to a hearing before the local justices of the peace.
The cage was demolished in 1887 and the site was used for the construction of Vestry Hall.