Merton High Street: Double Gates
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||June 1870|
|Copyright 1||Copy of postcard from watercolour drawing by W.A. Cook, May 1951|
|Notes / History||In 1755 a turnpike act was passed by parliament relating to the roads between Merton and Morden. The need to amend, widen and keep the roads repaired brought about this action. The gates were there to control traffic and collect tolls as part of the UK’s turnpike road system.
The Double gates were at the top of Merton High Street, now the site of South Wimbledon Underground Station. The gates were there for over a 100 years. The gates were removed in 1872.