Mitcham Junction Station
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1869|
|Copyright 1||Pamlin Prints, Thomas Francis photo|
|Notes / History||The station opened with the Peckham Rye - Sutton Line on 1st October 1868 and was photographed shortly afterwards from the Carshalton Road bridge. Between the posts can be seen the pumping house and water tank, the water columns being visible at the ends of each platform.
During the photographer's(Tom Francis) youth, "the arrival of a train was still treated as an important event, to be acknowledged by the presence on the platform of the station master, resplendent in top hat and morning coat."