Surrey Iron Railway: Gate-keeper's lodge
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1952|
|Original Format||Photo of sketch|
|Notes / History||This is a photo of a drawing by Hubert Wilman(Wilmain?).
The cottage was a single storey building, constructed of stone. It is suggested that building material may have been obtained from Merton Priory ruins.
The gate keeper's cottage was at the point where the Surrey Iron Railway crossed the Merton Road, now Colliers Wood High Street, facing Valley Gardens.
A small single-storey building here, demolished in 1964 after being derelict for many years, is supposed to have been an SIR cottage.
Retracing the First Public Railway by Derek A. Bayliss Page 40