Mitcham Junction Station
Buy a print
|Notes / History||A steam train pictured leaving Mitcham Junction Station heading towards Clapham Junction. Carshalton Road bridge to top left of picture.
Much of this line was electrified c.1930, however until the work was completed, the new system ran in conjunction with the more traditional steam powered engines.
The locomotive is BR West Country Class, No.34092 "City of Wells", built at Brighton in 1949 and withdrawn from service in November 1964. The locomotive has been preserved and is currently steaming on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.
The locomotive livery would indicate a mid-1950s date. The headcode is an old Southern Railway race train, although the leafless trees would rule out an Epsom races working.