Buy a print
|Notes / History||The first known documentary evidence for the bridge itself is contained in the Valor Ecclesiasticus of 1535, where mention is made of 'Pypesbridge'.
The bridge crosses the River Wandle between Deen City Farm and Phipps Bridge Road.
The present bridge dates to the mid-1950s and replaced a WWII Bailey bridge.
Mitcham Histories: 8 Phipps Bridge by E.N.Montague pages 9-12
published by Merton Historical Society