Graveyard and War Memorial, Mitcham Parish Church
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||October 1985|
|Notes / History||Mitcham War Memorial on Lower Green West was erected in memory of the Mitcham combatants who had lost their lives in the First World War. In 1919 the War Memorial Committee asked members of the local community to submit the details of those who had died in the war and the memorial, with the names of 552 men, was unveiled on 21st November 1920 by Sir Herbert Edward Watts.
Originally the memorial was just for the men of Mitcham who fell during the First World War but after much debate a second plaque was attached to steps to remember the men, women and children who died in World War II.
The principal inscription is to the south face of the plinth, beneath the decorated band and reads: TO THE MEN OF MITCHAM/ WHO FALLING, CONQUERED/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919. THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE.
When the memorial was restored in 1962 a further plaque was added with the words: AND/ TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN, WOMEN/ AND CHILDREN OF MITCHAM/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.
The memorial is a Grade ll listed building.