Battalion of sub- Artillery Platoon (Smith Guns) Nov.1944. Platoon 3
Buy a copy
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1944|
|Notes / History||The Battalion sub-Artillery Platoon (Smith Guns) Nov.1944. Platoon 3,
Top Row (left to right) Ptes. LAKE, BRAIN, FARRINGTON, BECKLEY, CIVATI.
Centre Row: Ptes. WESTON, ATKINS, GOMER, HOMES, CULLUM, L/c. HEATH, Ptes. JACKSON, BRIGHT, L/c. GATES, L/c. DAVENPORT.
Front Row: CpI. LEWS, CpI. BRIDGEN, Sgt. HENDLE, Pin. Sgt. BARRY, Lieut. S. COOK (Platoon Commander), Lient, FERRIS, Sgt. DOWNER, Sgt. MOORE. CpI. COVILL
‘The Smith Gun was one of several ‘pipe guns’ that were produced in Great Britain as rapid replacements for the large numbers of conventional weapons abandoned at Dunkirk. The Smith Gun was designed by William Smith, the chief engineer of Trianco Ltd., when he realised that on the outbreak of war, and prior to the retreat from Dunkirk, the British troops were severely handicapped by the lack of suitable weapons to combat the enemy equipment then in service. In the space of 5 weeks he designed and produced five different weapons, of which the Smith Gun was the most successful’ (iwm.org.uk)