Riflemen near the windmill, Wimbledon Common
Buy a print
|Partial / Incomplete Date||c.1860|
|Notes / History||Windmills have been grinding corn in this area of Merton since at least the seventeenth century. The mill seen here was built in 1817. At the time when this picture was taken, the millers were Joseph and Bedford Marsh of Kingston, Surrey. They ran a corn and flour merchants shop in Wimbledon until the First World War. The soldiers shown, bottom right, were probably competing in the
National Rifle Shooting Championships held on the Common from 1860 to 1890.