The windmill, Wimbledon Common
Buy a copy
|Notes / History||The building dates from 1817 and is a hollow post mill. The miller and his family lived in a small adjacent property. A number of millers also served as local constables to prevent duels from taking place on the common.
The platform surrounding the mill served as a useful vantage point from which to spot miscreants. In 1864 the mill became the property of Earl Spencer and was converted into six tiny cottages. The building now houses a popular museum charting the history of windmilling.