Phipps Bridge Road: Showing Rats Castle

Phipps Bridge Road: Showing Rats Castle

Buy a copy

For prints:
Contact Merton Heritage Service. Tel.020 8545 3239 Email:

Partial / Incomplete Date c.1920
Area Mitcham
Copyright 1 G.F. Cook
Picture Reference MerMor_​Streets_​Ph_​Pi_​37-7
Original Format Copy of postcard
Notes / History North end of Phipps Bridge Road.

Old weather boarded house, located on the junction of Christchurch Road, and what was part of Phipps Bridge Road (now Liberty Avenue).

Originally used by J. Meadows for textile bleaching, it became a confectionery shop (according to Tom Francis' memory). It was named Rats Castle because of its derelict state and was demolished in 1961.

Related items


* Required field